Consumer Advisory: MDARD Urges Consumers to Avoid Kuntry Gardens Products Due to Potential Health Hazard | So Good News
Lansing, MI – The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) advises consumers not to eat Kuntry Gardens produce or products containing produce from Kuntry Gardens of Homer, MI, as it may be contaminated with uncooked human waste. All products are expected to be listed under the Kuntry Gardens name.
During the produce safety inspection, MDARD staff discovered that Kuntry Gardens was using raw, untreated human waste in the fields where the produce was sold to local stores and sold directly. The use of raw, untreated, human waste in the cultivation of products intended for human consumption is a violation of the Michigan Food Law, PA 92 of 2000, as well as other federal and state laws and regulations.
No infections have been reported so far; However, MDARD is recommended for all people who have symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, jaundice (yellowing of the skin), fever, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, weakness, headache, or other symptoms of illness caused by food to get medical help.
If not treated professionally, human waste and other bodily fluids can spread serious infectious diseases such as hepatitis A, Clostridium difficile, E coli, rotavirus and norovirus.
Products may be redistributed or sold elsewhere, but are known to have been sold in the following locations in Michigan:
• Country Gardens, 29910 R Dr South, Homer
• Busch’s Fresh Food Market stores located in Ann Arbor, Brighton, Canton, Clinton, Dexter, Farmington Hills, Livonia, Novi, Pinckney, Plymouth-Northville, Rochester Hills, Saline, South Lyon, Tecumseh, and West Bloomfield
• Simply Fresh Market, 7300 Grand River Rd, Brighton
• White Lotus, 7217 W Liberty Rd, Ann Arbor
• Argus Farm Stop, 325 W Liberty Street, Ann Arbor
• Agricole Farm Stop, 118 N Main Street, Chelsea
• Holy Pastures, 1192 Ann Arbor Rd, Plymouth
• Ypsi Coop, 312 North River Street, Ypsilanti
• Greener Pastures Market, 21202 Pontiac Trail, South Lyon
• Holiday Market, 520 S Lilley Rd, Canton
• Cherry Capital, Traverse City
MDARD remains in possession of the affected farm and is working with the farm to monitor operations and improve the situation.
Buyers are encouraged to contact the farm or place of purchase for disposal and refund advice. If consumers have additional questions or concerns, they can contact MDARD at 800-292-3939, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.